Thursday, July 1, 2010

Yellowstone

We had a solid crew of 17 interns roll to Yellowstone National Park for the weekend. It was among the most amazing places I've ever been to. Everything was picturesque and the wildlife was really cool, not to mention delicious. We made the 6 hr drive on Friday immediately after getting off of work and got to the park by 11. My car got there late so we didn't have to set up camp, but I imagine that setting up the tents in the rain and in the dark was pretty miserable.
Much of Saturday was spent looking at the breathtaking Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. We saw it from three different angles and every single one was just as spectacular. Saturday's 17 mile long run in the park was rough. I encountered a 27 minute long uphill. Also, it was the first time I've run on concrete in the past 5 weeks. Good run though. I got really sweaty and dehydrated and had to wait until we got to the campsite to shower. Unfortunately, the shower was located 16 miles away from the campsite so instead of driving to it, a couple of us jumped into an awesome sulfur mineral bath instead. It wasn't Caldwell but it got the job done.

I woke up early on Sunday afternoon a restful night on slanted bed of rocks. Saw two male moose and a bison on my run. Surprisingly, there was still chunks of ice in the river. Our next stop was Old Faithful. I'm not going to lie, the entire thing was a bit anticlimactic, yet still amazing to watch. I guess this counts for this weeks Summit Sunday. Although it does seem a bit superfluous compared to Mt. Ebe and Huff Puff, we did climb 200 feet to reach the highest point to watch the hot spring go off.

We were out of the park pretty soon after that. However, the trip was far from over. I ate my first buffalo burger on the way home from the park. It was leaner and a bit tougher than hamburger meat, but I couldn't really tell the difference other than that. Still, there is something satisfying about eating the animals that you see in the wild. We got back at around 8:30 in the evening and I went to sleep so that I could get up the next morning to run. It was a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment